A smart home is one that provides information and communicates with you no matter where you are. These are growing in popularity today, and a wide range of versions are available. Each one seems to do something unique. If you are thinking about the investment in a smart home system of any type, it helps to know what the benefits are. In some cases, they can reduce theft risks and, as a result, lower home insurance costs. Here's what every homeowner in Western Massachusetts should know.
What Type of System Is Right for You?
If you hope to improve your home’s security, there are a few types of smart home systems to take into consideration. First, learn about the various brands and how they work. Then, determine what could help at your home. Here are some key ideas and options.
- Doorbell cameras – Replacing the traditional doorbell, these cameras allow you to receive a message whenever someone approaches the door. You can interact with the people outside your door. These do not prevent someone from coming in but do take pictures of those who step in their range of view.
- Security cameras – An excellent option for those who want more security, home security cameras are always active. The latest models have night vision and allow for two-way communication. Most importantly, they sound an alarm and alert you if someone steps into the warning area.
- Security monitoring – This is the highest level of safety-oriented home automation. It uses security cameras along with other types of sensors. When a trigger occurs, such as someone opening the door, it alerts a company monitoring the home. They can send help immediately.
- Door and window sensors – These detect when the door or a window opens. These small sensors are hard to see. Yet, they communicate a significant amount of information immediately.
- Glass break sensors – Some sensors even detect when glass breaks. If it senses this, it can send an alert so you can take action.
As smart home features, they work by sending messages to your smartphone or computer. You can then choose to call the police or warn the person to leave your property. In this way, they increase your home security.
If you decide to install one of these systems, be sure to tell your home insurance agent about it. With more information about how it works, they may recognize the benefits. This can help you to reduce your home insurance costs. However, not all systems qualify. Be sure to work with your agent to find the best way for your home.